Safety while walking on ice
With winter quickly approaching, SERVPRO of Morris/Ottawa would like to provide a few tips to help keep you safer while walking around when ice is possible.
1. Wear snow boots or slip resistant footwear when possible.
2. Walk slowly. Take shorter steps and shuffle your feet.
3. Keep your hands free. Whenever possible try not to carry items or have your hands in your pockets. A helpful suggestions is to utilize a backpack during winter months when ice is possible.
4. Avoid uneven surfaces such as curbs as much as possible.
5. Use caution when entering and exiting your vehicle. Use the vehicle to hold on to if possible to reduce the risk of slipping.
6. Test an area with one foot before attempting to walk on a surface to determine if it is icy or not. Remember black ice cannot be seen.
7. Be attentive and use caution when entering your home or a business. Water may be on the floors which can make them slippery.
How do I know if there is water damage?
Water leaks can be caused by broken pipes, faulty appliances, and even weather events. Unwanted water can cause costly repairs and even structure damage to your property if not addressed quickly. But what does water damage look like? Some tell tale signs that you may have water damage in your home are
- Stained or discolored walls
- Peeling of paint
- Walls that feel soft or look swollen
- Smell of musky odor in the room
- Sight of mold on walls or baseboards
If you see any of these signs in your home, there is a high chance there is water damage. SERVPRO of Morris/Ottawa uses advanced equipment such as thermal imaging cameras to locate and quickly remediate the water issue.
If you suspect water damage in your home give our office a call right away at (815)416-0075 to set up a free inspection of the water damage. Within hours of the inspection, we will have a plan in place to dry out your home and reduce the risk of further damage occurring.
Emergency Board Up Services
It is extremely important to secure your property after a loss that has damaged your roof, doors or windows. Receiving board up services prevents damage from animals and even thieves and vandals. It also helps reduce the cost of repairs by eliminating secondary damage. Receiving a board up service or roof tapping helps ensure the weather does not do more damage to your home or business.
SERVPRO of Morris/Ottawa is even on several town/village and fire department lists to perform board up services. After a loss that requires a board up service, the fire department or 911 dispatch center calls us right away so we can secure the property immediately.
SERVPRO of Morris/Ottawa is available 24 hours a day to perform emergency board up services. If you have any questions regarding our board up services or any other services we perform, we are here to answer any of your questions. (815)416-0075.
Types of Smoke
Different fires create different types of smoke damage. SERVPRO of Morris/Ottawa professionals are trained to identify which type of smoke has affected your property so we can properly restore your home or business back to preloss condition.
There is wet smoke and dry smoke. Here are the different types of smoke that we look to identify when we are called to help with a fire or smoke damage.
Wet Smoke- (Plastic and Rubber) Low heat, smoldering fire, has a pungent odor and is sticky.
Dry Smoke- (Paper and Wood) Fast burning, hot temperatures, heat and smoke rise.
Protein Fire Residue- (Evaporation of materials) Almost invisible, will stain and discolor paint, extremely pungent ‘eye burning’ smell.
Fuel Oil Soot- (Furnace puff back) Malfunction causes smoke to blow through duct vents and cover the home with smoke odor and soot
Other Types- Fire Extinguisher
If you have smoke or soot damage in your home or business SERVPRO of Morris/Ottawa is ready to help. (815)416-0075
Reducing Commercial Liability
Maintain your commercial building and minimizing your legal liabilities during the winter months by taking action to avoid hazards in your workplace environment. You can protect yourself, your employees and your customers by taking just a few simple precautions:
Use ice melt on sidewalks and walkways to ensuring the safety of passers buy, customers and employees.
Clean up dirt. A surprisingly large amount of dirt gets dragged into commercial building, especially . Dirt can cause significant damage to your flooring over time. To significantly reduce the amount of dirt and debris that gets dragged in, place utility mats inside and outside all entranced to the building.
Prevent slippery floors. Put utility mats down to minimize slippery surfaces created by snow and rain that gets dragged in when people enter your building. Place wet floor signs out whenever floors need to dry as well.
As a trusted leader in the restoration industry, SERVPRO of Morris/Ottawa provides 24-hour emergency service and is dedicated to being faster to any size disaster. We can respond immediately to your emergency and have the expertise to handle your restoration or cleaning needs. Your property’s appearance speaks volumes to your clients. When it’s impacted by fire or water damage, you need professional help. Every hour spent restoring your business is lost revenue and productivity. When you need professional cleaning or emergency restoration services, we have the training and resources to get your property back to business quickly.
Contaminated water also known as black water is typically caused by sewage back up, flooding or any type of natural disaster. Black water us highly contaminated and can be filled with fungi, bacteria, chemicals and more. For this reason, black water should always be handled by professionals.
While waiting for SERVPRO of Morris/Ottawa to arrive consider these tips.
- Avoid contact with sewage and any items that have been contaminated by sewage. If you do come in contact with contaminated items, wash your hands thoroughly.
- Do not walk through contaminated areas, as there is risk of spreading damage to uncontaminated areas.
- Do not use household fans to dry the structure as airflow could spread contaminates.
- Discard of any food, personal hygiene products or cleaning products that were exposed to contaminated areas.
If you have any questions while you are waiting for help to arrive, we are always willing and able to answer any questions you may have.
Choosing the appropriate fire extinguisher
Choosing the appropriate fire extinguisher is important to help minimize fire damage if it should occur.
Did you know there are several different classes of fire extinguishers?
Choosing the right one for you can help minimize fire and smoke damage if a fire does occur.
- Class A: This is the most common fire extinguisher and can be used to put out combustibles such as wood, paper, clothes and most plastics.
- Class B: This extinguisher is used for putting out flammable liquids such as gasoline and oil.
- Class C: Designated for fires involving equipment and appliances that are plugged in.
- Class D: Designed to be used on flammable metals. These are usually found in factories that work with flammable metals.
- Class K: Although these extinguishers are generally found in commercial kitchens, they are getting more common in residential kitchens. The Class K extinguisher is designated to use on fires that involve cooking oils.
Using the appropriate fire extinguisher can reduce the amount of fire damage in your home or business, and SERVPRO of Morris/Ottawa is ready to assist with any fire or smoke related damage after the fact.
Fascinating Hurricane Facts
- The term "hurricane" came from the Taino Native American word "hurucane" which means evil spirit wind. The term "hurricane" came from the Taino Native American word
- The term hurricane is only used in North America. Everywhere else in the world calls them tropical cyclones, except Asia where they are called Typhoons.
- At least 40% of hurricanes that happen in the US occur in Florida.
- Every hurricane is given a name. They are named in alphabetical order. So the first hurricane of the year will always start with the letter A.
- Every second, a hurricane releases the same amount of energy as 10 atomic bombs.
- The first man who every named a hurricane was an Australian weather man named C Wragge in the early 1900s.
- The first time recorded that someone flew into a hurricane was in 1943 during World War 2.
- All hurricanes begin life in warm moist areas over tropical oceans.
- The planet Jupiter has a hurricane that is bigger than the Earth itself and has been spinning for over 300 years.
SERVPRO of Morris/Ottawa hopes you enjoyed these interesting facts as much as we did.
Summer Celebration Safety
The first things that come to mind when we think about summer are backyard barbecuing, fireworks and bonfires. Did you know that July is the peak month for grill fires?
SERVPRO of Morris/Ottawa wishes you, your family and friends an enjoyable and safe summer. Below are a few tips to consider to help ensure your summer stays disaster free.
- Grills no matter if they are propane or charcoal should only be used outside.
- Grills should be placed away from any structures such as your home, garage or desk. Keep away from awnings and eaves of the home.
- Always keep your grill clean and empty grease trays from below the grill.
- When using charcoal ensure that the coals are completely cooled before disposal.
- Never leave a bonfire unattended and make sure it is in an area away from buildings and fences.
- Never use flammable liquids to start a bonfire and do not burn dangerous items such as paint, tires and aerosol cans.
- If using fireworks or someone nearby is always wear safety glasses.
- Never try to relight malfunctioning fireworks, and keep a bucket of water nearby to fully extinguish fireworks that do not go off.
If your property suffers from structural fire damage give us a call at (815)416-0075 to help make it "Like it never even happened."
Board Up Services
Did you know SERVPRO of Morris/Ottawa offers 24 hour emergency board up services?
Whether the damage is from a fire, storm, or other structural disaster, having your property properly secured is important. Boarding up a property correctly can stop secondary damage such as moisture or rain, animal intrusions, or even theft of property that is still inside the structure.
Boarding up a property after it has been damaged is a burden that no one should have to deal with especially the property owner right after suffering a loss to their home or business.
SERVPRO of Morris/Ottawa can swiftly board up the damaged property and can also remediate the original damage.
With our quick service and 24 hour availability, we are proud to be a preferred vendor for many of our local fire departments to assist with board up services after a fire.
If you should need board up services give our office a call 24 hours a day. (815)416-0075